Hawaii is one of the states which does not require birth doulas to have certification. Although, there are advantages to becoming certified, you are allowed to operate within the state as an doula without a certification. Furthermore, there is no requirement for a BS or BA degree to work in Hawaii.
The following is a list of educational classes available in Hawaii which can be used for your doula training. Some classes are part of a certification curriculum and attendance is mandatory if you have enrolled in the training program, so please read the details carefully to determine whether the courses are a required part of the curriculum.
Doula Training in Honolulu, HI
Organization Name: Honoring Women
Instructor: Ruth Kraft, CLD FOCEP CCE HBCP
Course and Workshop Details
This is a 2 day labor doula training workshop which is required to receive a CAPPA certification. This workshop is offered from April 1-2, 2017 from 9 am to 7 pm both days.
Costs and Fees
Labor doula training workshop (affiliated with CAPPA) – $550, or $450 for early registration. There is a military discount.
To register, click here or email Ruth@honoringwomen.com.
Organization Name: Academy of Certified Birth Educators
Course and Workshop Details and Requirements
- 3 day Birth doula training workshop ( DONA certification requirement)
Course and Workshop Topics
As part of your doula training, these courses will cover the following:
- Identify the different duties of the healthcare professionals a doula encounters
- Discuss the emotional and psychological impact of birth from the mother’s point of view
- Use roleplaying to understand how to make the mother feel empowered through her pregnancy
- Identify the different stages of labor
- Understand the difficulties which can arise during pregnancies and labor
- Discuss a doula’s role during a cesarian section
- Understand your significance in providing support during the postpartum period
- Discuss the ethics and requirements for certification
- Read training literature from a DONA approved reading list
- The Birth Partner by Simkin
- The Doula Book by Klaus, Klaus & Kennell
- Complete the course evaluation
Costs and Fees
Birth doula workshop – $450
A non-refundable $100 deposit is required during your registration
A $25 discount is available if the fees are paid at least 21 days before the class
Download registration forms at https://acbe.com/doula-training/
Fill out the form and mail to:
Academy of Certified Birth Educators
815 S. Clairborne, Suite 125
Olathe, KS 66062
Kyndal May is a certified doula with over 20 years of experience helping train doulas across the United States. She has received her certification from DONA (Doulas of North America) and has dedicated her career to supporting families during pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum. With her extensive knowledge and experience, she is committed to providing compassionate and personalized care to every family she works with. In addition to her work as a doula, Kyndal is also a passionate advocate for women’s health and birth rights. She has spent many years educating and empowering families to make informed decisions about their birth experience. She also uses her experience to help train other doulas, passing on her knowledge and skills to the next generation of birth workers. With her dedication to her clients and her profession, Kyndal is a respected and valued member of the doula community.