You are not required to get a postpartum doula certification to practice in the state of Mississippi. It is beneficial to your career to enroll in a certification granting organization, but it is not required in the state.
Listed below are training courses or workshops available in Mississippi that you could use as part of your postpartum doula education. Please read the details carefully to determine if the classes are a required curriculum of a certification program. You must be 18 to enroll.
Postpartum Doula Training in Jackson, MS
Organization Name: University of Mississippi Medical Center
Class and Workshop Details and Requirements
The classes taught are Newborn Care class, Breastfeeding class, and Infant CPR class. These classes are not required part of a certification organization such as DONA, CAPPA, or Birth Arts International.
Course and Workshop Topics
These classes will teach you the following concepts about providing postpartum support to the new mother and baby:
- Learn basic newborn care involving bathing and diapering
- Understand normal newborn behaviors, characteristics, and responses
- Address common parental concerns involving newborns
- Learn how correctly give CPR to an infant, taught by an American Heart Association instructor
- Discuss the benefits of breastfeeding for both the mother and infant
- Learn tips to encourage successful breastfeeding including techniques and proper milk handling and storage
- Discuss common breastfeeding concerns of the parents
Costs and Fees
The Newborn Care class, Breastfeeding class, and Infant CPR class are all free.
Register online and check class schedules by clicking here.