CAPPA, Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association, you must register for the online program, complete the online classes, attend childbirths, and read doula training material. There is no requirement to attend a training workshop.
The certification which you will receive is affiliated with CAPPA and will be recognized as a professional birth doula certificate. You have up to 2 years to complete the online doula training requirements at New Beginnings is 6 months to 1 year.
CAPPA Online Certification Requirements:
- Register for CAPPA membership
- Enroll and complete the distance learning course
- Read the CAPPA training manual and accompanying DVD
- Read 5 books from the required reading list
- Attend at least 3 childbirths and have your doula skills checklist signed by someone at the birth
- Obtain an evaluation from the parent and healthcare provider at each birth
- Finish Part 1 of the Hug Your Baby Training
- Construct a list of resources and support in your local area that can be utilized by expectant parents
- Complete an online multiple choice exam and essays with an 85% grade or higher.
The courses will cover understanding the process and anatomy of labor and birth. Discussion will talk about the scope of a doula’s job, including procedures and support which a doula can provide to the mother. The class will also discuss how to empower and encourage your client with evidence-based information to make her own choices that reflects her needs. Finally, the basics of initial breastfeeding will be taught as part of newborn care.
Costs and Fees:
The CAPPA membership fee is $65. The total cost for the online distance learning program is $600. Every 3 years, you must show that you’re up to date in your doula training in order to get re-certified. The re-certification fee is $75.
More information about the courses and certification is available at http://www.cappa.net/