Although Washington DC is not considered US state, it does have its own guidelines for doulas. As of now, Washington DC does not require doulas to have a certification in order to practice in the city. You can get certified, however, that is strictly voluntary and dependent on your job goals and financial situation. Additionally, there is no requirement for a high school or college degree in order to work.
The following is a list of educational resources and classes available in the Washington DC area which can be used for your doula training. If a listed class is part of a certification curriculum, it will be noted in the details section. You do not have to pursue a certification in order to attend these classes.
Doula Training in Annapolis/Arnold, MD
Organization Name: Brenda Lane Doula
Instructor: Brenda J. Lane, ICCE, CD(DONA)
Course and Workshop Details
This will be a 3 day birth doula training workshop. The Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas class will be included with the workshop. Both parts are required if you are enrolled in the DONA certification program. The training are offered from the following dates:
May 5, 2017 (Intro class), May 6-7, 2017 (Workshop)
Oct 6, 2017 (Intro class), Oct 7-8, 2017 (Workshop)
Nov 10, 2017 (Intro class), Nov 11-12, 2017 (Workshop)
Costs and Fees
The cost for Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas class and the Doula training workshop will depend on how many people register.
To register and confirm prices, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-757-9280.
Doula Training in Washington DC
Organization Name: Doula Trainings International
Course and Workshop Details and Requirements
- 4 day doula training workshop (requirement for Doula Training International certification)
Course and Workshop Topics
As part of your doula training, these courses will cover the following:
- Learn how to be an advocate for the expectant mother
- Discuss how to empower the mother to make her own informed choices
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of birth
- Learn how to provide support during prenancy, labor, birth, and postpartum periods
- Discuss your business strategy
- Discuss the ethics, standards, and requirements for certification
- Watch the childbirth and breastfeeding videos provided at the beginning of the workshop
Costs and Fees
4 day doula workshop – $1597
Registration and pay online here.
Different payments plans are available, click here for more information.