You can legally practice as a doula in Tennessee without having a certification. Despite having no requirement to be certified within the state, many doulas do get a certification in order to be more competitive. There is also no requirement for a high school or college degree to work as a doula in Tennessee.
The following is a list of educational courses and workshops available in Tennessee which can be used for your doula training. Please read the details carefully to determine whether the classes are a required part of a certification curriculum. You are allowed to attend even if you are not getting certified.
Doula Training in Nashville, TN
Organization Name: Wonderfully Made Birth
Instructor: Carnley Proud
Course and Workshop Details
This is a 2 day labor doula training workshop offered from October 21-22, 2017. It will be from 8 to 6 on both days. This workshop is is required if you enroll in the CAPPA certification program.
Costs and Fees
Birth doula workshop – $450 for early registration. $500 for regular registration.
Register online, read about cancellation policies, and pay for the training workshop here.
Doula Training in Memphis, TN
Organization Name: The Birth Company
Course and Workshop Details and Requirements
- 3 day, 21 hour long Birth doula training workshop (required for DONA certification)
- 4 hour Breastfeeding course
- Online classes on relaxation and communication methods for doulas
Course and Workshop Topics
As part of your doula training, these courses will cover the following:
- Learn how to give the appropriate comfort giving measure during different scenarios
- Discuss how to provide evidence-based information so that the mother can make informed choices
- Identify how to maintain a stress free environment for the mother
- Understand a doula’s role and how to communicate with your client’s medical team
- Discuss how to nature the bond between the mother, newborn, and the rest of the family
- Discuss the ethics and requirements for certification
- It is not required, but is highly suggested to read training literature from a DONA approved reading list
- The Birth Partner by Simkin
- The Doula Book by Klaus
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
- It is also recommended to observe a Childbirth Education course
Costs and Fees
Birth doula workshop – $335
Breastfeeding course – $55
Birth doula workshop and breastfeeding course – $390
Online class on relaxation and communication methods for doulas – $65
Registration and pay online here.
Or fill out the form and mail to:
The Birth Company
P.O. Box 2346
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32004